Diplomacy and International Governance
As old paradigms and models continue to expose their limitations, there has never been a greater need for a new understanding of how the international arena works.
Our research programmes have been designed to expose you to many different aspects of diplomacy and international governance. Experts from academia and industry will share their insights to guide and support your own discoveries and learning. You will work collaboratively with academic staff and each other to enrich your studies and support local organisations in search of your subject expertise and advanced academic skills.
Diplomacy is at the heart of many key issues facing the UK today, particularly the developments and repercussions of Britain's exit from the EU, which is often referred to in shorthand as Brexit. Over the coming years, you will have the opportunity to become experts in this critical topic, as it unfolds around you in London.
The Director of the Institute for Diplomacy and International Governance, Professor Helen Drake is leading a team of researchers to examine the politics, diplomacy and governance of Brexit. These findings are embedded into the teaching of our programmes, enabling you to discover the opportunities and challenges surrounding Brexit and their effect on the UK, the rest of the EU and Europe more broadly.
Our areas of research
Academics from the Institute for Diplomacy and International Governance offer research expertise and experience in a wide range of subject areas. As a research student with us, you will have the opportunity to work with leading researchers and professionals in order to gain first-hand experience of real-life problem solving.
The Institute for Diplomacy and International Governance currently leads research into the following areas. These research areas are not exclusive, and we encourage potential candidates to contact us for discussion before submitting an application:
- The European Union (including its institutions; member state domestic politics; EU-Russia relations; the EU as a foreign policy actor; the politics, diplomacy and governance of Brexit; the UK as a global actor post-Brexit; Brexit and its effect on the UK, the rest of the EU and Europe more broadly)
- ‘Brexit’ diplomacy and governance
- Contemporary France and European Studies
- Negotiations and diplomacy
- The UK and transatlantic relations, especially their security dimensions
- London and other global cities
- Political representation and participation of minority and marginalised communities, particularly Roma across central and eastern Europe, but also LGBTIQ communities
- Minorities and international governance and diplomacy; visual culture and political voice
- Critical and normative approaches to diplomacy
- International political communication and diplomatic discourse
- Russia-West relations
- Intercultural dialogue
- Regional and international organisations (especially the EU and the United Nations)
We currently supervise PhDs in the fields of EU public diplomacy; securitisation in authoritarian regimes; and UK immigration policy and governance.
In some cases, the Institute can provide joint supervisory arrangements with colleagues from other Loughborough University London institutes and from departments at Loughborough University’s East Midlands campus to ensure that you have a postgraduate experience of the highest quality.
Loughborough University London is situated within easy reach of London's principal diplomatic missions, government departments, and media and financial centres, alongside the headquarters of many major multinational organisations. Our London location means you will have the opportunity to build a professional learning experience that is tailored to your future career goals.
Our PhD students are equipped with the knowledge and research skills required to address the complex problems of the contemporary international arenas of business, trade, diplomacy, politics and governance. By pursuing one of our postgraduate research programmes, you will have the opportunity to work with internationally-renowned researchers and practitioners in your field of study.
As a PhD student with us you will receive a comprehensive package of training and support to continue into a professional research career, or to progress into a variety of roles with regional, international or multinational organisations and governing bodies.