Inspiring Success: career guidance and support for east London graduates
Inspiring Success is a two-part initiative, designed to provide employability support and funding for unemployed or underemployed graduates from the East London Growth Boroughs of Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest.
Please note – the Inspiring Success programme will be delivered digitally in 2020 – all advertised workshops will be available through online webinars.
About the programme
Now in its sixth year, the initiative has supported over 100 unemployed or under-employed graduates from across the boroughs, and has already seen twenty-three individuals graduate with postgraduate qualifications from Loughborough University London. The Inspiring Success programme is delivered in partnership with the London Legacy Development Corporation and and has most recently supported by kind donation from local foundations and businesses.
See our case studies for what our Inspiring Success graduates are up to now.
I am exceedingly grateful for the opportunities presented to me because of partaking in the Inspiring Success programme. I must urge all local graduates to apply – it is a once in a lifetime opportunity!Clayton Thomas
What does it involve?
The Inspiring Success programme is delivered in two stages. First, you can attend a series of insightful workshops to identify your strengths, reflect on your experiences and clarify the steps needed to reach your future goals. Next, eligible participants will be given the opportuny to apply for a 100% scholarship to study a master's programme of their choice. More information on each stage of the progamme is provided below.
Stage one: employability workshop series
The first method of guidance and support is offered through a series of evening workshops which have been designed to encourage graduates to develop new skills, reflect on their experiences and market themselves to potential employers. The workshops cover topics such as positive thinking and the significance of mindset and resilience in the context of job hunting or career progression. Sessions will include practical networking opportunities with employers such as BT Sport, Here East and Morgan Stanley.
The dates are:
|3 June 2020||5-8pm||Welcome and introduction|
|10 June 2020||5-8pm||Think like a recruiter|
|17 June 2020||5-8pm||LinkedIn masterclass|
|23 June 2020||5-8pm||Networking|
|24 June 2020||5-8pm||Speed interviewing|
|2 July 2020||5-8pm||Celebration and next steps|
Apply here for the Inspiring Success workshops. Deadline for applications is 31 May 2020.
Please note: the Inspiring Success programme will be delivered digitally in 2020 – all advertised workshops will be available through online webinars.
Take a look at our events page for further details of the information events and workshops.View our events
Stage two: 100% tuition fee scholarship
At the end of the workshop series, suitable participants can apply to be considered for a 100% tuition fee scholarship to study a master's programme at Loughborough University London. Up to ten scholarships will be awarded to eligible applicants every year. To apply for the scholarship, you must have applied for your preferred master's programme and must be in receipt of an offer. To find out more about the scholarship and to submit an application for a master's programme, please visit our how to apply page.
If I hadn’t been awarded the scholarship, a master’s degree from one of the UK’s top universities would never have been an option for me. Thanks to the scholarship, I can continue my studies and have the very best chance of achieving the career I have always wanted.
Why should I attend?
Inspiring Success will encourage you to reflect on your skills and experiences, before connecting you to leading employers to help you secure the next step in your career journey. It will also give you the opportunity to apply for a 100% scholarship to study a master's with a UK top 10 university.
Explore your personal potential and develop new skills and confidence
- By working with fellow graduates and Loughborough University students in a variety of tasks and challenges, you will have the opportunity to identify, explore and enhance your skills for future success
- You'll take part in a range of team tasks and interactive problem-solving challenges, which will enable you to make informed decisions and improve your collaborative working skills
- You'll be given professional career guidance and coaching, which can be tailored to your personal ambitions and future career goals
It felt amazing to be studying in east London: the area where I was born and raised. My course was challenging but it was a great experience and I really benefited from a great support network. I’m currently looking for graduate jobs in the creative sector and studying at Loughborough University London has provided me with a lot more options than I had before.
Esi-June Mittee Adabunu – Inspiring Success Graduate
Widen your horizons
- Working with individuals from diverse communities and backgrounds, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with others so you are ready to enter roles in a broad range of environments
- You will be supported by careers specialists, University staff and business professionals to explore your potential and consider new career options
- You will explore alternative developmental opportunities, such as further study and entrepreneurial routes
Make change happen
- The Inspiring Success programme is designed to spark change – in self-awareness, confidence, skills and career success
- You will complete the programme feeling empowered to take the next step towards your future career goals, whether you decide to enter further education, start a business, or apply for a role in industry
I saw a golden opportunity through a Newham Workplace event about studying at Loughborough University London. Winning the Inspiring Success Scholarship has enabled me to develop my knowledge of diplomacy, international relations and politics, which are my main passions in life.
Paul Ntulila - Inspiring Success Graduate