Applying for a visa

If you are coming to the UK to study a postgraduate degree for longer than six months, you will need to apply for a student (previously entitled Tier 4) visa from your nearest British Embassy or High Commission.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

As part of your visa application, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Loughborough University as your sponsoring institution. Your CAS statement will help you to calculate how much money you need to show for any outstanding tuition fees, and identify which documents you need to provide as evidence of how you secured your course offer.

If you are an international student and need to be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to enable you to apply for your student visa, you should pay a deposit to confirm that you intend to study with us at Loughborough University. You can find more information on paying your CAS deposit on our dedicated webpage.

Your CAS will be issued by the Admissions Office once you have met the following conditions:
  • Satisfied all the conditions of your offer
  • Obtained an ATAS certificate if required
  • Accepted your offer through the University's Application Portal
  • Provided the University with your passport number
  • Paid your CAS deposit
You cannot use the CAS to apply for a visa earlier than three months before your start date, so the Admissions Office normally start to issue CAS statements from May onwards.

Remember to check your visa

When you receive your visa, if is important to check that all of the details are correct before travelling to the UK. It is often easier to have any necessary corrections made by the UK visa service in your home country before arriving in the UK.

Occasionally, problems occur with the spelling of names and addresses, especially for students who are applying for a visa from a country that uses a different alphabet to English. To minimise the risk of possible spelling issues, it is sensible to decide on one spelling of your name in English and then use this at all times. Preferably, this should be the spelling that is used in your passport.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Your visa will be issued for a period of 30 days, which provides you with enough time to travel to the UK and collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). Your BRP is an extremely important document containing permission for you to stay in the UK for longer than your original visa.

When you complete your visa application, you will need to provide contact details for somewhere in the UK and/or where you are studying. You will also need to confirm which Post Office you intend to collect your BRP from. You can use the university’s address for this purpose:

University address:

3 Lesney Avenue
The Broadcast Centre
Here East
Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
E20 3BS

Nearest Post Office: 

Stratford Post Office
26 – 28 The Broadway
E15 4QS
You will need to take your passport containing your visa and the letter which you received when your visa was issued when you go to collect your BRP. Where possible, all students are encouraged to collect their BRP before registration. If this is not possible, you should bring your passport and entry clearance letter with you to register. Providing your 30 day entry clearance stamp has not expired, you will be able to collect your ID card but will need to return with your BRP at the earliest possible opportunity to complete registration. Failure to do so may result in the University withdrawing your student visa sponsorship and placing you on a Leave of Absence.

Already living in the UK?

If you currently hold a student visa with another UK institution, you must apply for a new student visa using a CAS from Loughborough University. You can do this by following the steps above.

If you have applied for a new visa whilst already living in the UK and have not received a decision before registration, please keep a copy of the Home Office letter confirming receipt of your visa application with you during the registration process. You should then bring your passport and BRP to the University for scanning, as soon as your documents have been returned. Failure to do so may result in the University placing you on a Leave of Absence and possibly withdrawing your student visa sponsorship if applicable. 

UK Visas and Immigration advice

The UK Visas and Immigration information on the website includes up-to-date information on how and where to apply for a student visa, and offers advice on the application procedures for your country.

Find out more