Call for Papers on 'The Value of Design-driven Entrepreneurship'
Dr Ida Telalbasic, Lecturer within the Institute for Design Innovation, will be a Guest Editor for a Special Themed Section in The Design Journal which will explore The Value of Design-driven Entrepreneurship.
The Design Journal invites submissions responding to the themes below for a Special Issue of the journal. Design contributes to a diverse spectrum of disciplines but the central question here is: how does design add value to the field of entrepreneurial activity and does the field of entrepreneurship add value to the field of design?
Through this call, the Design Journal aims to raise interest and invite contributions to explore the ways entrepreneurial conversations, projects, and provocations are enabled, activated, sustained, and scaled through design (i.e. driven by design thinking, service design, strategic design, and systems thinking to innovate in product-service-systems, business models, and ecosystems).
This special issue welcomes, but is not limited to, contributions that critically review the theoretical lineage that links design with entrepreneurship:
- What is the common ground, central to identifying, enabling and fostering design-driven entrepreneurial activity within organisations and communities in urban/rural contexts?
- Identify the design approaches to entrepreneurial practices: What are the differences and overlaps in, for example, design-driven vs design-led vs design-centred entrepreneurship? Can design play a role in developing knowledge-based capabilities and have a positive impact on intrapreneurship or corporate venturing?
- Examine how entrepreneurship (whether as a product, service, business model, ecosystem) can be successfully driven by design: What are the challenges, opportunities and limitations?
- Capture the changing role of designers in the entrepreneurial landscape: What does the evolution from a creative service provider to a founder, investor and entrepreneur signify for both the design and entrepreneurship communities?
- Validate the design contribution in incubating, accelerating, and scaling startups and ventures, including social entrepreneurship: What is the role of design in innovation models, processes, and strategies?
- Demonstrate design strategies for resilience in times of socio-economic crisis through a collaborative mindset and opportunity-driven thinking: How does design contribute to resilient entrepreneurship by enabling agility, adaptability, inclusivity, multi-disciplinarity and managing disruption?
- Evaluate design-driven entrepreneurship through enabling, designing and curating ecosystems: What is the value and impact of design-driven entrepreneurship within innovation ecosystems, business ecosystems, knowledge ecosystems, entrepreneurial ecosystems, and service ecosystems?
Authors are invited to submit full papers (maximum 7,000 words including all text) responding to the theme described above. All submissions are double blind peer reviewed, and a selection of accepted papers will be published in Vol. 24 Issue 5 of the Design Journal in September 2021. Relevant PhD study reports, reviews of recent publications or exhibitions on this topic are also invited. Please contact the Editorial Office for further details. Before submitting, authors should consult the referencing, style and formatting information in the Instructions for Authors.
Loughborough is one of the country’s leading universities, with an international reputation for research that matters, excellence in teaching, strong links with industry, and unrivalled achievement in sport and its underpinning academic disciplines.
It has been awarded five stars in the independent QS Stars university rating scheme, named the best university in the world for sports-related subjects in the 2020 QS World University Rankings and top in the country for its student experience in the 2018 THE Student Experience Survey.
Loughborough is in the top 10 of every national league table, being ranked 4th in the Guardian University League Table 2020, 5th in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020 and 8th in The UK Complete University Guide 2020.
Loughborough is consistently ranked in the top twenty of UK universities in the Times Higher Education’s ‘table of tables’ and is in the top 10 in England for research intensity. In recognition of its contribution to the sector, Loughborough has been awarded seven Queen's Anniversary Prizes.
Specialising exclusively in postgraduate-level study, Loughborough University London is based on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and offers cutting-edge master’s and PhD degrees, as well as business collaboration, research and enterprise opportunities.
The seven specialist institutes at Loughborough University London include: Design Innovation, Digital Technologies, Diplomacy and International Governance, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Management, Media and Creative Industries, and Sport Business. Close industry partnerships with a wealth of leading businesses and creative organisations means teaching and learning is informed by real-life challenges and driven by true industry pressures.