Dr Anna Grosman
Reader, Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Dr. Anna Grosman lectures the modules of corporate finance and digital finance. She is the Director of the MSc Digital Entrepreneurship. She is also the Research Lead for the Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Anna is the Athena SWAN Lead and a member of the EDI Committee for Loughborough University London.
Anna holds a PhD from Imperial College London. She has a strong background in investment banking, M&A and corporate strategy. Before starting her PhD, she worked as a Director of Corporate Development and M&A at Georgia-Pacific/Koch Industries in the International division. Anna also held various positions in investment banking and corporate finance for CIBC World Markets, Citigroup and Close Brothers.
Anna taught at a number of institutions across Europe, including Imperial College London, Aston University, SDA Bocconi in Italy and EDHEC Business School in France. Anna's teaching covers topics such as corporate governance, corporate, entrepreneurial and digital finance, corporate valuation, corporate and international strategy, business policy, and management consulting. Anna's teaching style involves a combination of theory and practice, and she regularly draws from her large professional network to invite high profile speakers into her lectures.
Current research and collaborations
Anna is increasingly active in the field of state capitalism, that is a system where the government takes on an active role as an investor in the economy. Anna's original research is in corporate governance, i.e. how institutional environments, ownership networks and structures, board structures, etc. influence a firm’s outcomes. She is also interested in research on innovation and entrepreneurship. Her research has been published in top academic journals such as Journal of International Business Studies (ABS4*), Journal of World Business (ABS4), and British Journal of Management (ABS4), among others. In 2022, she published the OUP Handbook of State Capitalism and the Firm with Oxford University Press.
Anna is keen to consult financial institutions and corporations that seek to improve their strategic decision-making or corporate governance structures and processes, providing advice in exchange for research collaboration. Anna is a research fellow at the South African Reserve Bank.
Anna welcomes PhD/ MRes/ MSc research projects on corporate governance, state capitalism, entrepreneurship, international business and innovation. Potential candidates are advised to download the requirements of Loughborough University Doctorate Programme and contact Anna with either an idea or a fully developed proposal.
Current PhD / research supervisions
- Fiona Meeks, “Innovation networks in a mixed industry cluster”, fully funded scholarship from Loughborough University, expected completion in Dec 2022.
- Paula Alamah, “Sustainability in supply chain management”, start January 2021, expected completion: January 2024.
- Nitikorn Khummasorn, “Innovation policy for Thai SMEs” start April 2021, fully funded scholarship from the Thai government (via National Science and Technology Development Agency), expected completion: April 2024.
- Gloria Manuel, “Entrepreneurial motivations and resilience”, start October 2021, fully funded scholarship from Angolan government (Instituto Nacional de Gestão de Bolsas de Estudo, INAGBE), expected completion: October 2024.
- Yawen Zou, “Executive compensation and seasoned equity offerings in the Chinese market”, start October 2021, expected completion: October 2024.
- Danny Hill, “Football player valuation”, start October 2021, expected completion: October 2024.
- Amir Sayyid, “Fintech and sustainability”, start January 2022, expected completion: January 2025.
- Sho Akinnawo, “Entrepreneurship in unconventional communities”, fully funded scholarship from Loughborough University, start July 2022, expected completion: July 2025.
Completed PhD / research supervisions
Shuyang Liu, “Interdependencies between ecosystem and business models in Chinese football market”, defended with minor revisions on June 16th, 2021; completed September 2021 (External Examiner: Simon Chadwick, EM Lyon, Internal Examiner: Yang Zhao, Loughborough University)
Interests and activities
Anna is affiliated with the following groups: Academy of Management (AoM), Strategic Management Society (SMS), International Corporate Governance Society (ICGS), and Academy of International Business (AIB).
Anna is on the Editorial Boards of Journal of World Business, Global Strategy Journal and Corporate Ownership and Control Journal. Anna is an Associate Editor of the Annals of Corporate Governance.