Dr Erhan Ekmekcioglu
Visiting Fellow in Digital Technologies
Erhan is an internationally recognised and established researcher with a strong background in communication and multimedia technologies and human computer interaction.
For over a decade, he was part of numerous research projects and led some of them in the capacity of co-investigator, which were funded through various sources, including European Union and the British Government. Erhan was a Senior Lecturer with the Institute for Digital Technologies between 2017 and 2023, leading and contributing to several modules within the remit of the institute and across a range of MSc programmes. Between 2019 and 2022 he was the Chief Programme Director of the institute, overseeing all teaching & learning related activities and the student experience across the programmes of the institute. In March 2023, Erhan moved to Ofcom, the government approved regulatory body for telecommunications and broadcast sectors in the UK, as an advisor in emerging technology areas encompassing the communications and media sectors.
Erhan received a BSc (Hons) degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the Middle East Technical University, Turkey, in 2006, and a PhD degree in Multimedia Communication Technologies from the University of Surrey, UK, in 2010 with the thesis title: "Advanced Multi-view Video Coding Techniques". He worked for University of Surrey as a post-doctoral research fellow in the Centre for Vision, Speech, and Signal Processing between 2010 and 2014.
Current research and collaborations
Erhan's wider research interests include interactive media, immersive technologies, Extended Reality (XR) communication, video processing and streaming technologies, emotion recognition, affective computing, human-computer interaction, and brain-computer interfaces.
Interests and activities
Professional memberships and activities:
- Senior member, Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience (Brain-Computer Interfaces section)
- Associate Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Member of technical delegation, British Standards Institute, IST/37 Committee: Coding of picture, audio, multimedia, and hypermedia information (2011-2016)
- Chair, 3D Processing & Communications Interest Group, IEEE Multimedia Technical Committee (2017-2018)
- Regular peer reviewer for journals and conferences, including IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Circuits, Systems and Video Technology, IEEE Access, and many others.