Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship is committed to delivering research that is academically excellent and adds social value by addressing some of the problems facing the world today. This type of research is relevant for all management studies scholars but particularly for those with a research interest in entrepreneurship and innovation.
London is one of the top cities in the world for business, finance and trade, and is a unique learning environment for students from the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to exploit.
The Institute is able to supervise projects in the following research areas:
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Formal and informal entrepreneurship
- University spin-outs
- Contextual influences on strategic entrepreneurship
- Corporate entrepreneurship
- Social entrepreneurship
- Creative and cultural industries enterprise
- Ethnic minority enterprise
- Business model innovation
- Entrepreneurship ecosystem
- Innovation ecosystem
- State capitalism
- Corporate governance: board structures
- Comparative corporate governance
- Corporate data responsibility and big data
- Executive compensation, executive turnover and impact on decision-making
- Digital enterprise
- Online entrepreneurial activity
- Redistributed manufacturing
- Big data
- Data-enabled capabilities
- Internet of Things
- Innovation and entrepreneurship across generations governance in family firms, including boards, trustees, and family councils
- Family versus non-family relationships (harmony/conflict)
- The importance of cultural, political, legal and economic context
- Family exit and management buy-outs
Social Science and Enterprise
- Entrepreneurial creativity and imagination
- Gender intersectionality and entrepreneurship
How to apply
Apply now All MPhil and PhD applications must be made online.
Applications for research should indicate the institute within which you would like to study and preferably the member(s) of staff whose research area is of most interest to you. If you’d like to make an application, we strongly recommend contacting your preferred supervisor in advance to discuss your research proposal in more detail.
To see a full list of academic staff within the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, please visit the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship staff page. Please use our online application portal to submit your research proposal, and clearly outline the question you intend to address. You should also include an overview of your subject area and proposed research methods.
PhD facilities and support
As a PhD student with us, you will have 24-hour access to our dedicated research hub, stunning library and fully-equipped kitchen facilities.
PhD fees and funding
Studying for a PhD is a significant but incredibly rewarding investment for your career and for your future. Visit our fees and funding pages to find out whether you are eligible for financial support towards your studies.