Applying for a visa

All international students aged 18 or over who are coming to the UK to study for longer than six months must obtain entry clearance as a Tier 4 (General) student from the nearest British Embassy / High Commission.

Unless you are a British Citizen or an EEA or Swiss national, or you already hold immigration permission that allows you to live and study in the UK, you will most likely need to obtain immigration permission before travelling to the UK to study.

The UK Visas and Immigration website gives up-to-date information on how and where to apply as well as local application procedures. Read through the information note on Tier 4 students on the GOV.UK website.

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

As part of your visa application you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Loughborough University as your sponsoring institution. Information on obtaining a CAS from the University is available here. You will need information from your CAS statement to complete your visa application; the CAS statement will also help you calculate how much money you need to show for any outstanding tuition fees and which documents you need to provide as evidence of how you secured your course offer.

You can only apply for a CAS once you have meet the full conditions of your offer and confirmed how you will be funding your studies. You cannot use the CAS to apply for a visa earlier than three months before your start date, so we normally start to issue CAS from May onwards for those students starting studies in the autumn.

Check your details

When you receive your visa, if is advisable to check that all the details are correct before travelling to the UK, as it may be easier to have any necessary corrections made by the UK visa service in your home country rather than trying to do that after arriving in the UK.

Names on documentation

Occasionally, problems occur with the spelling of names and addresses, especially in connection with students from countries that use a different alphabet from English. It is best to decide on how you wish your name to be spelt in English and then use this spelling at all times. Preferably, this should be the spelling that is given in your passport.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Your visa will be issued for a period of 30 days, which provides you with time to travel to the UK, and then you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit, which contains your permission to stay longer.

When you complete your visa application, you will need to provide contact details in the UK and/or those of where you are studying and which Post Office you wish to collect your BRP from. You can use the university’s address for this purpose. For the nearest post office to the campus, please contact us.

You will need to take your passport containing your visa and the letter which you received when your visa was issued when you go to collect your BRP.

Overseas visa applications

If you applied for a Tier 4 visa lasting more than 6 months in your home country, you are likely to have received a 30 day entry clearance stamp in your passport to allow you to enter the UK. You must travel to the UK whilst this is valid and then collect your Biometric Residence Permit (visa) within ten days of arrival in the UK from a named Post Office. The details of the Post Office will be shown on the letter issued to confirm that your visa application has been successful. Do not forget to bring this letter to the UK with you.

Where possible, all students are encouraged to collect their BRP before attending the visa scanning event. If this is not possible, you should bring your passport and entry clearance letter to the registration event. Providing your 30 day entry clearance stamp has not expired, you will be able to collect your ID card but will need to return with your BRP at the earliest possible time to complete registration. Failure to do so may result in the University withdrawing your Tier 4 sponsorship and placing you on a Leave of Absence.

Visa applications within the UK

If you have applied for a new visa within the UK and have not yet received a decision, please bring a copy of the Home Office letter confirming receipt of your visa application. You should then bring your passport and BRP to the University, for scanning, when your documents are returned. Failure to do so may result in the University placing you on a Leave of Absence and if you are a Tier 4 visa holder, withdrawing your Tier 4 sponsorship. 

If you currently hold a Tier 4 visa for another UK institution, you must apply for a new Tier 4 visa using a CAS from Loughborough University.

If you require advice about your immigration status, our specialist Student Advisors will be pleased to assist you. Visit the International Student Advice and Support website for further information.