Current Students

This page contains information that may be useful to you throughout your studies. During your time with us, you will have access to a dedicated Student Support team who will be on hand to provide advice and guidance at any stage of your student journey.

Click here to view a map of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park


LEARN is the University's Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which has been created to provide students with a wide range of learning materials on the web. LEARN is used to share information relating to your programme, assessments and performance. It is also a valuable place to learn about the extra-curricular events and opportunities taking place in and around the campus.

LEARN can be accessed both on and off-campus, allowing you to reach the right materials, develop your knowledge and continue working on projects 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

To access LEARN, please log in via the below link. Your log in details are the same as those issued to you during the registration and enrollment process.


Term Dates 2016-2017

Semester 1: 3 October 2016 - 3 February 2017

Semester 2: 6 February 2017 - 21 June 2017

Autumn Term: 3 October 2016 - 16 December 2016

Spring Term: 9 January 2017 - 31 March 2017

Summer Term: 1 May 2017 - 21 June 2017

Easter Sunday: 16 April 2017 (Note: Because Easter Sunday is relatively late, there are 8 weeks of Semester 2 prior to the Easter vacation, rather than 5 or 6, which is the norm).

NHS medical and dental services

Registering with a Doctor/General Practitioner (GP)

Once arrived in the UK, it is recommended that you register with a Doctor/General Practitioner as soon as possible, as you will be unable to access doctors’ consultations or the provision of other NHS services until you are registered.

Sir Ludwig Guttmann Health and Wellbeing Centre is located conveniently adjacent to Westfield Shopping Centre on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Contact details and opening hours can be found on their website. You should submit your registration form to the centre in person (please do not send by post). An NHS medical card will then be sent to you. Please note: your card may take up to three months to receive, however you can receive NHS treatment without the card in the interim. It is essential for you to keep the Medical Centre informed of your UK address.

Doctor/General Practitioner (GP) charges

Although treatment under the NHS is basically free, there is a standard charge for prescribed medications. This is currently £8.20 per item and is payable to the pharmacist dispensing the drugs.

Substantial charges are also made for dental and optical treatment.

There is a minimum charge for eye tests and for dental check-ups.

If you have a long-term health condition, you may be eligible for full or partial exemption of charges.

See here for further information about the UK health care system.

Sir Ludwig Guttmann Health and Wellbeing Centre

Location: 40 Liberty Bridge Road, East Village, Olympic Park, Stratford, E20 1AS

Telephone number: 020 8496 7000

Opening hours:

Monday 8:00-20:00

Tuesday 7:30-20:00

Wednesday 8:00-20:00

Thursday 7:30-20:00

Friday 8:00-20:00

Saturday 08:00-14:00

Sunday 08:00-14:00

Public Holidays 08:00-14:00

Other local medical provisions

For information on finding an alternative local doctor who can offer treatment under the NHS see:

Enter the postcode ‘E20’ for a list of local practitioners

How to register with a Dentist

Registration with a dentist is separate from your medical centre registration. However, you need to be registered with a doctor (GP) in order to qualify for NHS dental treatment; otherwise you will have to pay the full cost of private treatment.

Loughborough University Dental Practice is located next to the Students' Union Building on campus. You should register there by filling in the medical form provided by the practice. You will need to give them the NHS number on your medical card. If you have an exemption certificate, you should take it with you.

Dental service charges

There is a charge for all dental treatment. Treatment on the NHS will cost less than private treatment. Charges also vary from dentist to dentist so ask for a quote before agreeing to any treatment. The dentist will then ask you to sign an estimation of the treatment’s cost.

Stratford Village dental practice

Location: 42a Romford Road, Stratford, London, E15 4BZ

Telephone number: 020 8519 6184

Opening hours:

Monday 9:00am - 5:00pm

Tuesday 9:00am - 6:00pm

Wednesday 9:00am - 5:00pm

Thursday 9:00am - 5:00pm

Other local dental provisions

For information on finding an alternative local dentist who can offer treatment under the NHS see:

Select 'Dentists' from the menu of services and enter the postcode ‘E20’.

Note: Check first whether the dentist accepts NHS patients, as some dentists will only accept private patients. Once accepted, you will need to give the dentist the NHS number on your medical card. Some dentists will only register you as a patient after an initial examination. When you visit the surgery, you should remind them that you want to be registered as an NHS patient. Your period of registration will last for 15 months. If you do not return for a regular check-up within 15 months, you may be removed from your dentist's list.

Student Oyster Photocard Scheme

All full-time postgraduate students aged 18 and over may be eligible for a Student Oyster Photocard, giving a 30 per cent travel discount on most Transport for London services.

With a Student Oyster Photocard, you can buy Travelcards and Bus Passes at 30 per cent off the equivalent adult weekly and monthly fares. These are for use on:

  • National Rail trains in the London area

  • The London Underground (the tube)

  • The Docklands Light Railway

  • Tramlink

  • London bus services

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for the Student Oyster Photocard, you must be aged 18 or over AND living at a London address during term time AND either:

a) a full-time postgraduate student studying for 15 or more hours per week or,

b) a part-time postgraduate student on a course lasting at least 14 weeks

When Can I apply?

You may apply from 1 September 2016 and once you have fully enrolled for the academic year.

How do I apply?

Please apply online. You will need to pay a £20 application fee using a credit/debit card registered in your own name. You will also need a passport-sized digital photograph of yourself saved to your device. You will need to upload your photo as part of the application process.

When completing the application, please ensure you select Loughborough University London as your institution. If you don’t apply to the correct institution, your application will be rejected and you may have to make a new application and pay a second £20 administration fee. Once your application has been approved, Your student oyster card should arrive at the address you provide within five to seven days.

Can I use my young person’s Railcard for tickets for travel on the London Underground?

If you have a 16-25 Railcard, you can add the discount to your 18+ Student Oyster photocard to get a 34% discount on off-peak and pay-as-you-go fares. The discount applies to journeys made by Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services in London.

Simply take your Oyster card and valid Railcard to a London Underground station ticket office to register for the discount.

British Council Safety Guide

This may be your first time living away from home, or this could be your first time living in the UK. To help you prepare for your studies in a new city, the British Council have created a brilliant student guide designed to give you practical advice about living and studying in the UK.

Download the Guide (PDF)

Opening a bank account

Why open a bank account?

It is advisable to open a bank account and deposit your money as soon as possible after your arrival. You should not carry large amounts of money with you, or leave it in your room because of the risk of loss or theft. When you have a bank account you may be given a cash card, which is a safer way to make transactions and access your money.

Choosing a bank account

There are many banks in the UK that can provide bank accounts to international students. You should spend time finding the bank that offers the best service for you. Ask other international students which banks they have found most helpful. When choosing a bank, you need to consider the following:

(1) The services the bank will offer you and what charges it will make,

(2) What arrangements there are for transferring money from your home country and the costs involved.

What do I need to do in order to open a bank account?

(1) Official identification. You will need to show your passport or national identity card,

(2) Proof that you are a student,

(3) Proof of your UK address,

(4) Proof of your permanent residence in your home country.

If you can, take all of these with you when you go to open an account, as this will make the process quicker and easier.

It can take up to 5 working days, or sometimes even longer, to open a bank account, so it is advisable to have a small amount of cash or travellers cheques on arrival to meet accommodation or other immediate expenses. However, you should not carry large amounts of cash or keep large amounts of cash in your accommodation.

Please ensure that your name is spelt in exactly the same way as in your passport. If there are any spelling mistakes or additional/different names, then these documents will not be accepted by the banks and you will not be able to open a bank account.

How do I use my cash card?

You may be given a cash card that enables you to draw money from a cash dispenser or ATM machine. You will be given a personalised number to use (PIN) by your bank. Never tell anyone else your number, or write it down. But you must remember this number, as you will be asked to enter your PIN when using ATM machines. If you forget your number and get it wrong three times your card will be withheld and you will need to apply for a new one. ATM machines are usually placed outside the bank so you can obtain money at any time even when banks are closed.

Keep your cash card in a safe place. If you lose them tell your bank immediately so that they can stop all transactions. Most banks operate 24-hour phone lines.

Credit cards and overdrafts

You will find it very difficult to obtain an overdraft or credit card from your UK bank, unless you have an established account with a branch of the same bank in your home country. However, each application is assessed on an individual basis, and if you do feel that you need these facilities you should ask to speak to your branch financial advisor.


Planning your budget will help ensure that you are able to manage your money successfully without unnecessary stress or inconvenience. For help and advice on how to budget, please see here.

The Student Advice and Support Service has a team of experienced advisers to help you with issues relating to your money.

Share this page: