Registration is the process by which you formally agree to the University's terms and conditions of study and is a requirement for all students. Enrolment enables you to attend your classes, access campus facilities and obtain your University ID card.
Online registration is a simple way of providing the University with the information needed to register you on our system and produce your student ID card. Some of the information we require will have been provided to us via your application, however, we do need you to check this carefully, to ensure that it is correct and up to date.
If you are due to commence your studies from September 2018, you will receive emails in August 2018 inviting you to complete online registration and to book a slot for in-person registration.
To complete enrolment at Loughborough University London, you will need to complete online and in-person registration. To ensure you complete enrolment correctly, please follow the steps outlined below:
Once you have retrieved your IT account details and prepared your photograph, you are then ready to commence with the online registration. You will be directed to the relevant page and invited to begin the process.
Before you register online, it is important that you select an appropriate photograph for your student ID card. This photograph will also be entered onto your student record and may be used to confirm your identity when using the services provided by the University.
The uploaded image must:
- Be a recent photo of you alone,
- Be upright (i.e. vertical, portrait),
- Show your full face with eyes open,
- Be without any hats or headwear (unless for religious or medical reasons),
- Have no other people or objects in the photo,
- Have a plain light background,
- Be in colour, clear and in sharp focus,
- Have a file format of JPEG (.jpg extension),
- Be less than 1MB (megabyte) in size,
- Be approximately 300 pixels wide and 400 pixels high, which is 4cm x 5cm (at a resolution of 200 pixels per inch).
If you are experiencing difficulties cropping and uploading your image, please email us.
You will be required to upload and submit your photo during the online registration process.
Terms and Conditions of study
During the online registration process, you will be asked to agree to the University's terms and conditions of study. To see a full list of terms and conditions, please click here.
IT Account Setup
Before you arrive at Loughborough University London, you need to set up an IT account in order to obtain your IT credentials (email, username and password). Most students will be able retrieve their IT credentials six weeks prior to the start date of their programme. You will be emailed the information you need to setup your account.
Why do I need to set up an IT account?
As a new student, you are issued with a Loughborough University username, email address and password. These details will allow you to access all IT Services at Loughborough University London, including the student portal, Virtual Learning Environment (Learn), computer and print services and more.
You are responsible for any actions taken using your login details; therefore it is important to keep your username and password secure. For security reasons we do not recommend writing your password down. If you choose to do so, please ensure it is not clear that it relates to any University systems.
By using our services, you agree to be bound by the Loughborough University Acceptable Use Policy.
Who do I contact if I have a problem?
If you are having problems retrieving your IT credentials using the link above or need advice on where to find your application ID please contact IT Services on +44 (0)1509 222333.
Once you have completed the online registration process, you can then decide if you want to change your password or not. We recommend that you do change your password and that you change it on a regular basis. You can use the Self Service Reset Password Management tool to change your password.
In-person registration will take place at the London campus in September 2018. If you have accepted your offer and met all of the necessary conditions, you will receive an emailing inviting you to book a slot for in-person registration in September 2018. You must register online and register in person in order to complete enrolment with the University.
What will I be doing?
You will be welcomed at reception and given a welcome pack by a student ambassador. You will then be asked to sign-in and will receive advice on your next steps in order to register. On completion of the registration process, you will be able to speak to support staff and representatives from Loughborough Student's Union, who will introduce you to the exciting opportunities and services available to you as a new student at Loughborough University London.
What should I bring with me?
Before you are permitted onto your programme with Loughborough University London, you will be asked provide official documentation confirming your identity (such as your passport, visa and other immigration documents), as well as documentary evidence of the academic documents on which your admission was based.
- Original certificates or transcripts of the academic qualifications on which your admission was based. These should clearly show the final result of the qualifications, and must be authenticated by the awarding institution with an official stamp and signature (photocopies will not be accepted)
- Original copies of your English language qualifications if relevant (photocopies will not be accepted)
Please note: If your qualifications are not in English, a translation should be provided by a professional translator or translation agency. The translator must confirm that it is an accurate translation of the original document. The translated document should be dated and must contain an original signature and stamp from the translator, as well as their contact details. We do not accept faxed, un-stamped, photocopied or scanned copies of documents.
You will also need to provide at least one of the following items in order to collect your ID card:
- Your Passport
- Current UK Visa/Biometric Residence Permit (must still be valid)
- Refugee Status Letter/Travel Document
- UK/Channel Islands/Isle of Man/Republic of Ireland Birth Certificate and evidence of National Insurance number (NI card/letter from government body/employer)
- UK/Channel Islands/Isle of Man/Republic of Ireland Adoption Certificate and evidence of National Insurance number (NI card/letter from government body/employer)
Failure to present the correct documents could result in you being unable to register onto your chosen programme.
Document verification procedures
During the registration process, you must provide documentary evidence of the documents on which your admission was based. This includes any academic and/or English language requirements.
You will be asked to present your passport, visa or other immigration documents, as well as the following:
- Certified copies of certificates or transcripts of the academic qualification on which your admission was based. These should clearly show the final result of the qualification, and must be authenticated by the awarding institution with an official stamp and signature
- You must also provide certificates showing your English language qualifications if relevent
- If the original qualification is not in English, a translation should be provided as well, by a professional translator or translation agency, which confirms that it is an accurate translation of the original document. The translated document should be dated, contain an original signature and stamp of the translator, and their contact details. We will not accept faxed, un-stamped, photocopied or scanned copies of documents
If your admission to the programme was on the basis of a Loughborough University degree, your certificates do not need to be presented as results have already been verified.
If IELTS, TOEFL or the Pearson Test of English (PTE) was used to meet the English language requirement, certificates do not need to be presented as they have already been independently verified.
If you are attending an English language pre-sessional course we aim to verify your documents whilst you are in Loughborough. If we have done this, you will not be required to present your certificates again.
If you have applied for a Research programme (PhD, MPhil, EngD) and your English was assessed and accepted on the basis of other evidence supplied, you will not be required to produce this evidence.
Failure to present documents
If you cannot present qualification documents as above when you arrive, you will be permitted to register and will be given four weeks to produce them for verification. If you are still unable to produce them by this deadline you will be asked to withdraw from your studies and if you fail to do so, your registration may be suspended and disciplinary action will be taken in accordance with University Ordinance XVII
If you are in the UK on a Tier 4 visa, the termination of your sponsorship by the University will be reported to the UK Home Office.
If you are unable to produce your documents because they have been submitted to the Home Office as part of your Tier 4 visa application, you will be asked to provide evidence that this is the case. A separate arrangement will then be made with you to verify your documents when they are returned to you.
Presentation of fraudulent documents
Collecting your ID card
Your University ID card provides access to the campus and is valid proof of your student status. The card will remain valid for the duration of your programme, so please look after it. You will be able to collect your ID card once you have completed all stages of the registration process, both online and in-person.
When collecting your ID card, you will be asked to provide the original version of one or more of your official documents.
Confirming your identity
New UK / EU / EEA / Swiss / Islands Students (Taught Students)
New UK / EU / EEA / Swiss / Islands Students (Master's students)
You will be required to show one of the following documents/combinations of documents when you collect your ID card:
- UK / EEA / Swiss Passport
- National Identity Card (Where applicable)
- Current UK Visa / Biometric Residence Permit
- UK Visa / Biometric Residence Permit (must still be valid)
- Refugee Status Letter / Travel Document
- UK / Channel Islands / Isle of Man / Republic of Ireland Birth Certificate and evidence of National Insurance number (NI card / letter from government body / employer)
- UK / Channel Islands / Isle of Man / Republic of Ireland Adoption Certificate and evidence of National Insurance number (NI card / letter from government body / employer)
New International / Non-UK / Non-EU students
All new non-UK / EU students will be required to have their passport and Visa / Biometric Residence Permit scanned by the University. ID cards can be collected alongside visa scanning. Tier 4 students can contact us for further information. Failure to provide the appropriate documents or evidence that your visa application has been submitted to UKVI will delay your enrolment at the University and could result in your Tier 4 sponsorship being withdrawn.
Registering at Loughborough's East Midlands Campus
If you are joining a programme at Loughborough University's East Midlands campus, you can access specific advice and guidance on your registration procedures and guidelines by visiting the Welcome to Loughborough website.