Dr Louise Scholes
Acting Director of the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Dr Louise Scholes joined Loughborough University London from Durham University as a Reader in Entrepreneurship. She is on the editorial board of the International Small Business Journal and has a specialist research focus on entrepreneurship and family firms.
Louise Scholes is on the editorial board of the International Small Business Journal and is currently a Reader in Entrepreneurship at Loughborough University London.
Louise's main research interests include family firms and their characteristics, and management buyouts and their consequences. Her teaching and research covers corporate entrepreneurship, and entrepreneurship in established organisations including family firms.
After completing a PhD in Radiation Chemistry from Brunel University Louise joined DiverseyLever and spent 10 years in research and development creating new animal medicines. Following an MBA at Nottingham University she rejoined the education sector and has since worked for Nottingham, Durham and Loughborough business Schools. At Durham and Nottingham Louise taught a diverse range of business-related topics such as corporate entrepreneurship, corporate governance, venture capital and private equity, business statistics, and Information Technology to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Current research and collaborations
- Internationalisation of family firms with colleagues from Nottingham University, Malaysia and Newcastle University, Australia.
- Entrepreneurial Orientation in family firms: A project funded by the Institute for Family Business with colleagues from Imperial, Durham and Lancaster business schools.
- The effect of family firm trusts (and family firm councils) of the behaviour and of family firms with colleagues from Imperial, Roehampton and Nottingham University, Malaysia.
- Establishing a unique family European family firm database with colleagues from WHU (Otto Beisheim School of Management) and Maastricht Universities.
Current PhD / research supervisions
- 2014-present with Paul Hughes (Durham University). Aizuddin Daut (Durham University) "Strategic Decision Making in Malaysian Small and Medium Enterprises".
Interests and activities
Louise is affiliated to the Enterprise Research Centre and the Centre for Management Buy-out Research. She is also a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Stoke Woods Action Group, a commuinty project set up to care for and maintain a small wood in Nottinghamshire.